Responding to the ever-evolving needs of the senior population living in the northwest suburbs, the Frisbie Senior Center – a drop-in activity center for older active adults – strives to provide a warm, welcoming atmosphere that allows for congregation, social interaction, and encouragement of healthy as well as active lifestyles. Since 1976, our organization has been dedicated to serving active people through intellectually enriching, socially engaging, and physically energizing programs and volunteer opportunities. Our staff also strives to assist older adults with resource referrals and coordination, access to social service providers, and support while living independently at home within the community.
At the Center, you’ll find:
- daily social and recreational activities;
- on-going educational programming;
- a computer lab;
- planned day trips and extended trips;
- one-to-one counseling options, focusing on health, legal, employment, and a host of other topics;
- medical equipment, offered through our Medical Closet program, that can be purchased or rented at below market pricing;
- access to a Veterans’ Affairs representative five days per week, through an on-site VA office;
- casual dining in the Cumberland Café, which is open to the general public, providing
- breakfast and lunch menu offerings,
- a congregate meal program for persons 60 and over,
- and inside and outside catering for meetings, events, and special occasions;
- great savings on everyday goods to the next great find for that “treasure hunter” or collector, at the Once & Again Boutique (donated goods accepted as well), our resale thrift store;
- handmade crafts, which can be found in the Senior Craft Boutique;
- and meeting space and facilities for rental use.
As an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, charitable corporation, we are responsible for raising funds annually in order to sustain our operations. We do so through a variety of means, including, but not limited to: membership dues, fees for service, grants, donations, bequests, sponsorships, fundraising events, resale/food service enterprises, and facility rental.
The organization is member-based, open to anyone ages 55 or older, regardless of where you live; new members are always welcome. Although membership is not required to participate in programming, a daily activity fee will be charged for non-members. For more information about becoming a member, contact the Center directly at 847.768.5944 or stop in and check things out for yourself!!